Slade Cottage was opened by the government in 1973 in one of the buildings of the Glandore Boys' Home. The Cottage accommodated up to 12 boys considered to have behavioural problems. In 1975 Slade Cottage was moved to Somerton Park on the site of the former Seaforth Home. Slade Cottage closed in 1988.
Slade Cottage at 25 Naldera Street, Glandore, was opened by the Department of Community Welfare on 5 February 1973 in one of the buildings of the Glandore Boys' Home. When the Glandore Boys' Home closed down in February 1973, a number of the buildings were renovated and reopened as cottage and family homes. Slade Cottage accommodated up to 12 boys who were considered to have 'emotional' or 'behavioural' problems.
In 1975 Slade Cottage and Reception Cottage were moved from Glandore to Somerton Park into buildings on the site of the former Seaforth Home. Slade Cottage and Reception Cottage joined three other cottages at the former Seaforth Home site. These included Tintoo Cottage, Morada Cottage and Kandarik Cottage.
The buildings of the former Slade and Reception Cottages at Naldera Street, Glandore, both became part of a separate unit of McNally Training Centre called the Glandore Unit.
By the late 1980s only two of the five cottages at the former Seaforth Home site still operated, Slade and Kandarik. At the time the Department considered the Somerton Park site 'the least satisfactory physical site owned by the Department for the care of children'.
Slade Cottage at Somerton Park closed in 1988.
1869 - 1898 Magill Industrial School
1898 - 1949 Edwardstown Industrial School
1949 - 1958 Glandore Industrial School
1958 - 1966 Glandore Children's Home
1966 - 1973 Glandore Boys' Home
1973 - 1988 Slade Cottage, Glandore/Somerton Park
Sources used to compile this entry: George, Karen, Finding your own way, Nunkuwarrin Yunti of South Australia Inc., 2005, http://nunku.org.au/resources/.
Prepared by: Karen George and Gary George
Created: 14 February 2011, Last modified: 9 May 2018