Some people may find content on this website distressing. Read more
The Find & Connect website is changing soon Read more
South Australia - Organisation

Brothers of St John the Baptist (c. 1892 - c. 1941)

From
c. 1892
To
c. 1941
Categories
Care Provider and Catholic

The Catholic Order of the Brothers of St John the Baptist was founded by Father John Healy of the Thebarton parish in around 1892. The Order ran a reformatory called St John the Baptist Home for Boys. In 1941, the Salesians of Don Bosco took over management of the St John the Baptist Home for Boys. By command of the Archbishop, at that time the Order of the Brothers of St John the Baptist was suppressed, and ceased to operate.

Details

The handing over of control in 1941 of the St John the Baptist Home for Boys to the Salesians of Don Bosco resulted from internal problems within the Order of the Brothers of St John the Baptist, and concerns about the management of the Home.

Provided 'Care' At

  • St John the Baptist Home for Boys (1898 - 1941)

    Brothers of St John the Baptist ran St John's Boys Town under the control of the State Children's Council and its successor, the Children's Welfare and Public Relief Board.

    Date: 1898 - 1941

  • St John's Boys Town (1941 - 1954)

    Brothers of St John the Baptist ran St John's Boys Town under the control of the Children's Welfare and Public Relief Board.

    Date: 1941 - 1942

Publications

Online Resources

Sources used to compile this entry: 'Fr Francis Smyth [biography]', in Catholic Archdiocese of Adelaide, Catholic Archdiocese of Adelaide, http://www.adelaide.catholic.org.au/view-biography?guid=10354; George, Karen, Finding your own way, Nunkuwarrin Yunti of South Australia Inc., 2005, http://nunku.org.au/resources/.

Prepared by: Ann McCarthy