The Lady Victoria Buxton Girls' Club was established in Adelaide by the Church of England in 1898. It began as a meeting place for girls working in West Adelaide factories and developed into a hostel. In the 1920s it had room for more than 30 girls. The Lady Victoria Buxton Girls' Club operated until 1955.
The Lady Victoria Buxton Girls' Club was established by its patron, Lady Victoria Buxton in 1898 in Bowen Street , Adelaide, and was run by the Church of England. Lady Victoria Buxton was the wife of the then Governor of South Australia, Sir Henry Fowell Buxton. In 1903 the Club moved to larger premises in Whitmore Square, Adelaide.
The Lady Victoria Buxton Girls' Club was founded 'to provide rooms where factory girls and others living in West Adelaide might meet for amusement and instruction'. It developed into a hostel for 25 girls. This number increased to 34 by 1923. Through donations, fund raising events and sales of the Kookaburra Cookery Book the Club was able to make several additions to the premises including a new hall in 1929. The Club operated until 1955.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Philanthropic - Lady Victoria Buxton Girls' Club - Annual Meeting', The Register (Adelaide, South Australia), 3 September 1903, p. 8, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article60000052; 'Caring for Girls - An Important Institution', The Register (Adelaide, South Australia), 6 July 1916, p. 7, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article60611326; George, Karen, Finding your own way, Nunkuwarrin Yunti of South Australia Inc., 2005, http://nunku.org.au/resources/.
Prepared by: Karen George and Gary George
Created: 3 February 2011, Last modified: 5 December 2017