The Girls' Friendly Society Lodge was opened by the Church of England Girls' Friendly Society at Kermode Street, North Adelaide in 1913. It provided a home for country girls working or studying in the city. In 1916 the lodge moved to Pennington Terrace, North Adelaide. During World War II it provided accommodation for female munitions workers. The Lodge closed in 1975.
The Girls' Friendly Society began in England in 1875 and in South Australia in 1879. Its object was 'to unite girls and women in a fellowship of Prayer, Service and Purity of Life for the Glory of God'. The first Girls' Friendly Society Lodge in South Australia opened in rented premises in Kermode Street, North Adelaide in 1913. The concept of the hostel was to provide safe, home-like accommodation for girls, particularly those from country areas, who were studying or working in the City.
This first building was very small and could only house a limited number of girls. In 1916 Mrs Robert Barr-Smith bought a house at 59 Pennington Terrace, North Adelaide, and gave it to the Society. Over the years additions were made to this building. In 1943 two new dormitories were opened, and a new kitchen and other storerooms added. During World War II the hostel was home to many female munitions workers. In 1968 the hostel accommodated up to 34 girls under the age of 21. The Lodge closed in 1975.
Sources used to compile this entry: George, Karen, Finding your own way, Nunkuwarrin Yunti of South Australia Inc., 2005, http://nunku.org.au/resources/.
Prepared by: Karen George and Gary George
Created: 3 February 2011, Last modified: 28 November 2014