The James Horton Industrial School for Girls, in Toowoomba, was an industrial school run by the Salvation Army. It opened in 1947 and was renamed the James Horton Industrial School for Girls in 1953.
In 1947 a larger dining room was added to the home. This followed on from previous renovations and extensions carried out during 1944.
1942 - 1947 James Horton Memorial Home
1947 - 1953 James Horton Industrial School for Girls
1953 - 1954 James Horton Memorial Home for Girls
1954 - 1963 James Horton School for Girls
1963 - 1976 Horton House
1976 - 1985 Horton Village
Sources used to compile this entry: Burley, Lacey, 'Horton Village helps the disabled', Chronicle, 31 March 2009, http://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/horton-village-helps-disabled-build-skills/199129/; Department of Families, Missing pieces: information to assist former residents of children's institutions to access records, State of Queensland, 2001. pp. 52-53.; Horton Village History sheet, copied from the Horton Village Policy and Procedure Manual and given to Lee Butterworth on 23 October 2012.
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 3 April 2014, Last modified: 26 May 2014