The James Horton Memorial Home, in Toowoomba, was an industrial school run by the Salvation Army. It opened in 1942 and was renamed the James Horton Industrial School for Girls in 1947.
In 1942, Horton House was donated to the Salvation Army by Mrs Nellie Alford. She was the daughter of James Horton, who originally built the house in the late 1800s.
When the Japanese entered World War Two, Mrs Alford donated her home to the Salvation Army in order to create a 'safe haven' for the girls who were to be evacuated from the Industrial School for Girls, Yeronga. In all, 41 girls moved into the Home in 1942.
The Home was officially opened 19 September 1942 and was called the James Horton Memorial Home, in memory of James Horton. The Home was licensed under the State Children Act 1911.
Renovations, extensions and the erection of a dormitory playshed were progressively carried out during 1944. A dining room was added in 1947.
The name changed to James Horton Industrial School for Girls in 1947.
1942 - 1947 James Horton Memorial Home
1947 - 1953 James Horton Industrial School for Girls
1953 - 1954 James Horton Memorial Home for Girls
1954 - 1963 James Horton School for Girls
1963 - 1976 Horton House
1976 - 1985 Horton Village
Sources used to compile this entry: Burley, Lacey, 'Horton Village helps the disabled', Chronicle, 31 March 2009, http://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/horton-village-helps-disabled-build-skills/199129/; Department of Families, Missing pieces: information to assist former residents of children's institutions to access records, State of Queensland, 2001. pp.52-53.; Horton Village History sheet, copied from the Horton Village Policy and Procedure Manual and given to Lee Butterworth on 23 October 2012.
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 3 April 2014, Last modified: 4 June 2014