The Stradbroke Island Lazaret, on North Stradbroke Island in Moreton Bay, was established for the reception and medical treatment of lepers. Run by the State government, it opened in 1892 and closed in 1907.
Stradbroke Island Lazaret was established over an area of approximately 17 acres, about a mile from Dunwich Jetty, on Stradbroke Island, Moreton Bay. It was situated beside the Dunwich Benevolent Asylum, a location that was next to a swamp and described as dark and miserable.The lazaret only housed male white patients.
In 1907, Stradbroke Island Lazaret was closed and all patients were transferred to Peel Island, where a new lazaret was established for both European and non-European patients. 11 year old Noel Agnew was among the patients transferred to Peel Island.
Sources used to compile this entry: Bryce, R , Ryan, T, Van Willigen, G, Opala, R, Venner, R, Friends of Peel Island, Going to the gums: the lazaret on Peel Island, Friends of Peel Island Association Inc, Cleveland DC, 2009, 70 pp.
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 14 December 2013, Last modified: 18 July 2018