Some people may find content on this website distressing. Read more
Queensland - Organisation
Church of England Rescue Home (1894 - 1898)
- 21 September 1894
- Anglican, Children's Home, Home and Protestant
- Alternative Names
- St Mary's Church of England Rescue Home (Also known as)
- St Mary's Penitentiary Home (Also known as)
The Church of England Rescue Home, in West End was established in 1894. It was run by the Society of the Sacred Advent. The Home accommodated pregnant single girls and unwed mothers and their babies. The residents operated a laundry on the site to generate income. In 1898 the Home relocated to Taringa.
- Department of Families, Missing pieces: information to assist former residents of children's institutions to access records, State of Queensland, 2001. Details
- 'Sandeman Nursery', Queenslander, 29 May 1897, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article24466439. Details
- 'Woman's World: St Mary's Home', Brisbane Courier, 6 November 1897, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page548657. Details
- 'Institutions', in Forced Adoptions History Project, National Archives of Australia, 2014, http://forcedadoptions.naa.gov.au/resources/institutions. Details
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Woman's World: St Mary's Home', Brisbane Courier, 6 November 1897, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page548657.
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 29 August 2013, Last modified: 17 April 2018