The St George's Orphanage, Rockhampton, was run by a Management Committee. It opened in 1917 and closed in 1922 when the children were moved to new premises at Parkhurst. The new complex was called St George's Homes.
St George's Orphanage was licensed under the State Children Act 1911 on 26 October 1917.
Mary Brookes-Ball was appointed Superintendent of St Georges Orphanage, Rockhampton, in October 1917.
The Homes (including the Group Homes) were governed by a Management Committee from 1917 until 1982 - most of the minutes of this committee still exist, as well as Synod Reports and Church Gazette articles. These are all kept in the Diocesan Registry.
1917 - 1922 St George's Orphanage, Rockhampton
1922 - 1979 St George's Homes, Rockhampton
1978 - 1980 St George's Family Group Home, Elphinstone Street
1978 - 1982 St George's Family Group Home, Mason Street
Sources used to compile this entry: 'St Georges's Orphanage, Rockhampton', Brisbane Courier, 27 October 1917, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article20194824; Central Queensland Family History Association Inc., 'St George's, Parkhurst', in Central Queensland Family History Association Inc, Google Sites, 2013, https://sites.google.com/site/cqfamilyhistory/articles-indexes/history/orphanages/st-george-s-parkhurst; Department of Families, Missing pieces: information to assist former residents of children's institutions to access records, State of Queensland, 2001.
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 27 August 2013, Last modified: 19 October 2018