Some people may find content on this website distressing. Read more
Queensland - Organisation
Salvation Army Girls' Home, Toowong (1956 - c. 1961)
Salvation Army Rescue Home for Girls, Toowong, ca. 1914, c. 1914, courtesy of Picture Queensland, John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland.
- c. 1961
- Children's Home, Home and Salvation Army
The Salvation Army Girls' Home in Toowong came into being in 1956. Previously it was the Industrial School for Girls. The Home closed and the buildings were demolished around 1961/1962. Kalimna Vocational Centre for Girls opened on the site in December 1962.
- Cleland, Sharon, Caring for the children : a history of institutional care provided by The Salvation Army for Australian children and youth (1893-1995), Salvation Army, Australian Eastern Territory, Sydney, August 2012. Details
- Department of Families, Missing pieces: information to assist former residents of children's institutions to access records, State of Queensland, 2001. p.57. Details
- 'Submissions received by the committee as at 17/3/05', in Inquiry into Children in Institutional Care, Commonwealth of Australia, 2005, http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Community_Affairs/Completed_inquiries/2004-07/inst_care/submissions/sublist. Submission no 120. Details
- Social Work Staff, Faculty of Education, University of Queensland, Directory of Social Services Queensland, University of Queensland Press, St Lucia, 1958, http://espace.library.uq.edu.au/eserv/UQ:241555/HV474_Q44D57_1958.pdf. Details
- Salvation Army Rescue Home for Girls, Toowong, ca. 1914
- c. 1914
- Picture Queensland, John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland
Sources used to compile this entry: Department of Families, Missing pieces: information to assist former residents of children's institutions to access records, State of Queensland, 2001. p.57..
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 23 July 2013, Last modified: 19 October 2018