The Ipswich Mental Hospital was previously known as the Ipswich Hospital for the Insane.
In 1940 an extra wing was added to the building that accommodated mentally handicapped children. It became known as Dagmar House.
[Taken from 'Ipswich Mental Hospital (1938-1964)': UQ Ipswich Campus Progression of an Institution]
Dr Basil Stafford was Superintendent at Ipswich Mental Hospital. Through his observation of mental hygiene practices overseas, he advocated for modern drug therapy to replace custodial methods of treatment of patients. He also recommended a better classification of patients in mental institutions. His report led to the introduction in parliament of The Mental Hygiene Act of 1938. The Act was aimed at reducing the stigma attached to mental illness.
At the same time, The Backward Person's Act of 1938, which provided for improved care and education of mentally deficient people, was introduced. Stafford moved on to become Director of Mental Hygiene. Dr William Parker served as Superintendent of Ipswich Mental Hospital from 1938 to 1953.
1878 - 1910 Ipswich Branch of the Woogaroo Lunatic Asylum
1910 - 1938 Ipswich Hospital for the Insane
1938 - 1964 Ipswich Mental Hospital
1964 - 1968 Ipswich Special Hospital
1968 - 1998 Challinor Centre
Sources used to compile this entry: McRobert, Elizabeth, Challinor Centre : the end of the line : a history of the institution also known as Sandy Gallop, Department of Families, Youth & Community Care, Brisbane, 1997, 198 pp; Patrick, R, A History of Health and Medicine in Queensland, 1824-1960, University of Queensland Press, St Lucia, 1987, 561 pp; UQ Ipswich Campus Progression of an Institution, Ipswich Library Online Exhibition, http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/149288/20141112-1528/www.library.uq.edu.au/ipswich/uqihistory/index.html.
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 8 July 2013, Last modified: 12 June 2014