The Ipswich Hospital for the Insane, situated at Ipswich, was previously known as the Ipswich Branch of the Woogaroo Lunatic Asylum. In 1910 it became known as the Ipswich Mental Hospital.
[Taken from 'Ipswich Hospital for the Insane (1910-1938)': UQ Ipswich Campus Progression of an Institution]
The institution expanded rapidly between 1910 and 1920.
A lack of facilities for "sub-normal" children resulted in the building of a ward to accommodate thirty children, situated at the northern end of the site. Completed in 1933, the building was soon filled to capacity and by 1940 another wing had been added. It became known as Dagmare House. This was the first purpose built facility for children with an intellectually disability
In 1938 the institution was renamed the Ipswich Mental Hospital.
1878 - 1910 Ipswich Branch of the Woogaroo Lunatic Asylum
1910 - 1938 Ipswich Hospital for the Insane
1938 - 1964 Ipswich Mental Hospital
1964 - 1968 Ipswich Special Hospital
1968 - 1998 Challinor Centre
Sources used to compile this entry: McRobert, Elizabeth, Challinor Centre : the end of the line : a history of the institution also known as Sandy Gallop, Department of Families, Youth & Community Care, Brisbane, 1997, 198 pp; UQ Ipswich Campus Progression of an Institution, Ipswich Library Online Exhibition, http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/149288/20141112-1528/www.library.uq.edu.au/ipswich/uqihistory/index.html.
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 8 July 2013, Last modified: 12 June 2014