The Brisbane Mental Hospital, situated at Wacol, Queensland, was a State run facility. The hospital, originally named the Woogaroo Lunatic Asylum, was first established in 1865 on a 120 acre horse stud farm owned by Dr Stephen Simpson. The Brisbane Mental Hospital was previously known as the Goodna Hospital for the Insane.
It is known that children who were wards of the state were placed at the Brisbane Mental Hospital in the 1960s.
1865 - c. 1880 Woogaroo Lunatic Asylum
c. 1880 - 1898 Goodna Asylum for the Insane
1898 - c. 1940 Goodna Hospital for the Insane
c. 1940 - 1963 Brisbane Mental Hospital
1963 - 1969 Brisbane Special Hospital
1969 - 2001 Wolston Park Hospital
2001 - The Park Centre for Mental Health
Sources used to compile this entry: Finnane, Mark, Wolston Park Hospital 1865-2001: A Retrospect, Queensland Review, vol. 15 (2), University of Queensland Press, St Lucia, 2008, 39-58 pp, http://www98.griffith.edu.au/dspace/bitstream/handle/10072/22957/54722_1.pdf?sequence=1; Queensland Health, The road to recovery - a history of mental health services in Queensland 1859-2009, Queensland Government, 2013, https://www.health.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0028/444583/qld-mh-history.pdf.
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 1 May 2013, Last modified: 27 April 2018