The Bethesda Mothers' Hospital, in Rockhampton, was run by the Salvation Army. It functioned as a maternity hospital and a rescue home for girls. Before 1938, it was known as the Glenties Mothers' Hospital. In 1968, it was again renamed Bethesda Hospital and Hostel.
An article in Rockhampton's Morning Bulletin on 2 July 1938 stated that the Bethesda Mothers' Hospital would operate in two distinct areas of work, both to be managed by the Salvation Army.
One section would function as a private maternity hospital where, for a small fee, married women would be cared for by a qualified Salvation Army nurse.
The other section would operate as a girls' home. The article went on to state that:
destitute, wronged, and neglected girls are cared for and little unwanted babes are given a home, until such time as adoption can be arranged.
There will be a new nursery with a large veranda on three sides, with miniature dining room, furniture for the toddlers, new bathrooms, and locker rooms. Individual lockers and wardrobes are provided for, and fly-proof rooms for the preparation of the babies' food.
1902 - 1924 Glenties Rescue Home
1924 - 1938 Glenties Mothers' Hospital
1938 - 1968 Bethesda Mothers' Hospital
1968 - 1970 Bethesda Hospital and Hostel
1970 - 1976 Bethesda Hostel
1976 - 1977 Bethesda Hostel and Childrens' Home
1977 - 1979 Bethesda Childrens' Home
Sources used to compile this entry: 'New Addition to Salvation Army's Mothers' Home', Morning Bulletin, 4 July 1938, p. 9, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article55980622; 'Salvation Army: Official Opening of Mothers' Hospital', The Morning Bulletin, 2 July 1938, p. 9, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article55980497; Department of Families, Missing pieces: information to assist former residents of children's institutions to access records, State of Queensland, 2001. p.82.; Social Work Staff, Faculty of Education, University of Queensland, Directory of Social Services Queensland, University of Queensland Press, St Lucia, 1958, http://espace.library.uq.edu.au/eserv/UQ:241555/HV474_Q44D57_1958.pdf.
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 12 April 2014, Last modified: 9 October 2014