St Mary's Home, Toowong, in Toowong was established in 1919. It was operated by the Committee of St Mary's Church of England Home. St Mary's Home, Taringa amalgamated with the Brisbane Female Refuge and relocated to Bent Street, Toowong in 1919. It operated under the name St Mary's Home, Toowong. The Home closed in 1991.
St Mary's Home, Toowong was licensed under The lnfant Life Protection Act until 1959. It was licensed again on 11 February 1975. Funding ceased in 1981/82 but the home continued to operate.
Beatrice Wood was in charge of St Mary's Home, Taringa, in 1907. Miss E. Taylor was matron of St Mary's Home Toowong from 1924 to 1944. Ivy McGregor was matron of St Mary's Home Toowong in 1951 and 1952.
Reverend Canon Campbell was Chaplain to the St Mary's Home and Refuge, Toowong, in 1929.
Sources used to compile this entry: Boyce, James, For the Record: Background information on the work of the Anglican Church with Aboriginal Children and Directory of Anglican Agencies providing residential care to children from 1830 to 1980, Anglicare Australia, Melbourne, 2003, 46 pp. p.29.; Department of Families, Missing pieces: information to assist former residents of children's institutions to access records, State of Queensland, 2001. pp.77-79.; Social Work Staff, Faculty of Education, University of Queensland, Directory of Social Services Queensland, University of Queensland Press, St Lucia, 1958, http://espace.library.uq.edu.au/eserv/UQ:241555/HV474_Q44D57_1958.pdf.
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 23 June 2011, Last modified: 31 October 2014