Marsden Home for Boys, in Kallangur, was operated by the Marsden Home for Boys Committee of the Queensland Congregational Union from 1929. In June 1977, operations transferred to the newly-created Uniting Church. The Home closed 27 November 1992.
During World War II the Queensland Congregational Union considered caring for children evacuated from England until foster homes were found. To date no evidence has been found to confirm that this scheme was ever activated.
In 2013, the former Home is the site of the Frederick Marsden Youth Centre, a camp and conference facility. The centre was first established in 1929 as the Marsden Home for Boys by Mr Frederick Marsden.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Marsden Home as Clearing House for Evacuee Children', Queensland Times, 11 September 1940, p. 4, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article114215677; Department of Families, Missing pieces: information to assist former residents of children's institutions to access records, State of Queensland, 2001. p.63..
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 15 June 2011, Last modified: 11 June 2014