The Home of the Good Shepherd, Eton House, Nundah was operated by the Anglican Society of the Sacred Advent. The Home was formally opened in June 1893, and accommodated homeless girls. In 1894, the Home expanded to receive 'private payment orphans' as well. In 1901 the children were transferred to the Tufnell Home.
In June 1893 the Sisters of the Sacred Advent opened the Home of the Good Shepherd at Nundah. The Sisters purchased and closed Eton Boys School, then reopened as a home to accommodate homeless girls. The home was located on land bounded by Bishop Street, Buckland Road, Wand Street and Olive Street.
In 1897 the Sisters purchased a second house for the Home of the Good Shepherd. This house was located near where the Rectory is on the present Tufnell site. In 1901 the widow of Reverend Edward Tufnell donated one thousand pounds for the Sisters to purchase a house to expand the Home of the Good Shepherd. The house purchased was on top of Gardener's Hill. The children moved to the new home which was renamed Tufnell Home on 6 February 1901. This is the present site of Tufnell, home to Anglicare.
The 2001 publication Missing Pieces (page 52) reported the existence of an Admissions Book for the "Home of the Good Shepherd and Tufnell Home" for the period 1893 to 1933 ).
In 2014, Anglican Archives advised the Find & Connect web resource that this information about the Admissions Book was not correct.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Opening of the Home of the Good Shepherd Nundah', Brisbane Courier, 19 June 1893, p. 5, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article3561565; Boyce, James, For the Record: Background information on the work of the Anglican Church with Aboriginal Children and Directory of Anglican Agencies providing residential care to children from 1830 to 1980, Anglicare Australia, Melbourne, 2003, 46 pp. p.28.; Department of Families, Missing pieces: information to assist former residents of children's institutions to access records, State of Queensland, 2001. p.52..
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 14 June 2011, Last modified: 23 June 2014