The United Church in North Australia had its roots in a multi-denominational congregation based in Darwin from 1946. In 1956 members of the Congregational, Methodist and Presbyterian churches moved to a shared church in Smith Street, Darwin and formed a United congregation. After their building was bombed during World War II, a new church was opened in July 1960 and named the Darwin Memorial United Church. The Darwin Church reported to the United Church in Northern Australia Board which was based in Sydney. The United Church in Northern Australia became part of the Uniting Church of Australia in 1977.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Lutheran Archives', in Lutheran Church of Australia, Lutheran Church of Australia, 2012, https://www.lca.org.au/departments/ministry-support/lutheran-archives/; 'Lutheran Church of Australia', in Lutheran Church of Australia - Our history, 2012, http://www.lca.org.au/about-us/our-history/.
Prepared by: Karen George and Gary George
Created: 17 December 2013, Last modified: 12 May 2014