The Sacred Heart Mission was established at Serpentine Lagoon on the Daly River by Jesuit Missionaries in 1889. It was the second Jesuit mission on the Daly River after the Queen of the Holy Rosary Mission. The Mission struggled to operate for two years. The residents were devastated by epidemics and the crops planted to provide sustenance failed. No Mission dormitory was built. The Sacred Heart Mission closed in 1891.
Sources used to compile this entry: Our Story: History of NT Church, The Diocese of Darwin, The Catholic Church in the Northern Territory, https://web.archive.org/web/20160303225601/http://www.darwin.catholic.org.au/our-story/history-nt-church.htm.
Prepared by: Karen George and Gary George
Created: 14 February 2011, Last modified: 14 May 2014