The Australian Board of Missions came into being in 1872, when the first general synod of the Church of England in Australia was held. Previously, it was known as the Australasian Board of Missions, established in 1850 "to promote the Mission work
of the Church among the Aborigines in
Australia and in the Islands adjacent". In the Northern Territory the Australian Board of Missions ran the Mount Blatherskite Hostel and St Mary's Hostel. In 1995, the organisation became known as the Anglican Board of Mission - Australia.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Our history', in Anglican Board of Mission - Australia website, Anglican Board of Mission - Australia, 2011, https://www.abmission.org/pages/our-history.html; Kurti, Linda, 'Being salt: Christian witness through international partnerships', Australian Anglican Schools Network, September 2006, https://webarchive.nla.gov.au/awa/20150310211351/http://www.anglicanschoolsaustralia.edu.au/files/linda_kurti.pdf.
Prepared by: Karen George and Gary George
Created: 10 February 2011, Last modified: 25 September 2014