Lutanda Children's Home was established in Wentworth Falls in 1930 by Miss Florence Dalwood. After Dalwood's death in 1949, Lutanda moved into a large purpose-built orphanage on Boundary Road in Pennant Hills which later housed around 50 to 60 children in separate buildings for boys and girls. Lutanda closed in 1984.
The Lutanda Children's Home was first located in Wilson Street, Wentworth Falls (in the Blue Mountains).
Miss Florence Dalwood had worked in the George Muller Homes in Bristol in the United Kingdom and wanted to establish a Christian home for 'needy' children.
In 1949 Lutanda moved to Boundary Road, Pennant Hills. It closed in 1984.
1930 - 1984 Lutanda Children's Home
1984? - Lutanda
Sources used to compile this entry: Hanson, Dallas, Why are they in children's homes: report of the ACOSS children's home intake survey, Australian Department of Social Services: Australian Council of Social Services, Australian Government Publishing Service, Canberra, 1979, 83 pp; Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, http://nma.gov.au/blogs/inside/files/2011/02/connectkin_guide1.pdf; Email 25 October 2013 from former resident who provided advice about the location of the Pennant Hills home and the date of closure.
Prepared by: Melissa Downing & Naomi Parry
Created: 21 March 2011, Last modified: 28 April 2017