Udialla Station was purchased by the Department of Native Affairs on a 'walk in - walk out basis' from Mr Darcy Ryder on 27 December 1944, according to the department's annual report in 1945 (p.8). However, the department did not immediately occupy Udialla, which continued to be worked by Mr Ryder. The purpose of Udialla as described in the 1945 annual report (pp.7-8) was to provide a 'Government institution' for the 'reception of coloured people as distinct from full-blood'. The government needed a 'modern type of institution' for the 'education and training of the Broome coloured people to other means of livelihood away from the pearling industry and its Asiatic influences'. Udialla Station was located on the south bank of the Fitzroy River, 93 kilometres from Derby and 209 kilometres from Broome. The property was around 1250 hectares in area with what the Commissioner for Native Affairs (p.8) described as 'mainly black soil of great fertility' which would be suitable for 'vegetable growing and for sheep raising' and thus 'the training of native children and natives generally'.
Udialla was closed by the government in 1949, and residents were transferred to the La Grange Bay Depot.
We do not currently have any photographs linked to this entry. If you know of any additional photographs, please contact us.
The Find & Connect Support Service can help people who lived in orphanages and children's institutions look for their records.
08 April 2022
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/wa/WE01281
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License