In May 1863 the Victorian Government gazetted an area of 2,000 acres as the Lake Tyers Reserve. It was increased to 4,000 acres. This included 16 acres under cultivation, an orchard and stock. John Bulmer managed the Reserve until his resignation at the end of 1907. The Government took over in 1908 and restricted the residents' freedom of movement and narrowed the school curriculum. The buildings, which numbered 17, included a church and school room.
The daily routine for the population included religious services twice a day, while the children had daily bible classes.
Unlike the managers of other Reserves, Bulmer had encouraged the residents to maintain their culture and their hunting practices as a means of supplementing their rations.
In 1906 the residents from Ramahyuck moved to Lake Tyers, followed by others from Lake Condah and Coranderrk, when they closed.
In 1917 the Central Board for the Protection of Aborigines adopted a policy of 'concentrating' all Aboriginal people at the Lake Tyers Station.
The residents, with the support of Pastor Doug Nichols and the Aborigines Advancement Leagfue, resisted Government assimilation policies. Between 1956 and 1965 they agitated for the Station to become an independent, Aboriginal-run farming cooperative. In 1965 it was declared a permanent reserve.
We do not currently have any records linked to this entry. If you know of any additional records, please contact us.
The Find & Connect Support Service can help people who lived in orphanages and children's institutions look for their records.
06 January 2023
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/vic/E000928
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License