The first Geelong Industrial School was situated in Ryrie Street.
The atmosphere in Geelong was thought to be healthier than Melbourne's, meaning that frail children in the city's industrial schools were often transferred to Geelong. This led to problems with overcrowding at Ryrie Street in the late 1860s.
In 1868, plans were afoot for a second industrial school in Geelong. In November 1869, it was established in the former Gaol in Myers Street.
In 1879 there were 81 girls at the Industrial School in Geelong, including some who were transferred from the industrial school at Royal Park in July 1879.
25 May 2021
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/vic/E000570
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License