St Barnabas' Boys' Home, in Phillip Island, came into being in 1934. Previously, it had been known as the Seaside Garden Home for Boys.
In 1934, the Seaside Garden Home was taken over by the Mission of St James and St John. Seaside Garden was situated adjacent to a training school already run by the Mission, St Paul's Training School. Like St Paul's, Seaside Garden was a facility for 'problem boys', originally set up as a non-denominational institution.
In 1934, the Charities Board requested the Mission take over its operations following serious criticisms about conditions at the Seaside Home, including the death of one boy in 1933.
When the institution changed hands, the Mission of St James and St John renamed it St Barnabas' Boys' Home. About 50 boys from Seaside Garden were discharged, and the Mission took in the remaining 70 boys at St Paul's.
St Barnabas' Boys' Home was soon closed, in 1939, due to financial concerns.
In 1997 the Mission of St James and St John became part of Anglicare Victoria. At this time, records of the Mission were transferred to Anglicare Victoria. These included records of the various orphanages, homes and other residences run by the Mission. The custodian of these records is Anglicare Victoria.
We do not currently have any photographs linked to this entry. If you know of any additional photographs, please contact us.
The Find & Connect Support Service can help people who lived in orphanages and children's institutions look for their records.
14 January 2019
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/vic/E000091
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License