Barnard and Twigg suggest that the Sisters of Mercy changed the orphanage's name from Our Lady to St Catherine's to distinguish it from the Sacred Heart Boarding School and the day primary school, which were located on the same site.
An appeal for a new building was launched in 1926, and in 1928 St Catherine's Orphanage relocated from Newtown to Highton.
In November 1955, St Catherine's Girls' Orphanage was declared an approved children's home under the Children's Welfare Act 1954.
In 1957, Sister Isidore Ryder took charge at St Catherine's. A year later, it started to receive boys (usually the younger brothers of girls already at the Orphanage). Subsequently, St Catherine's changed its name to St Catherine's Children's Home in 1960.
10 February 2023
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/vic/E000018
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License