Between 1915 and 1920, the Mental Diseases Hospital Department ran the Mental Diseases Hospital. In 1920, the Public Health Department took it over.
One of the many aims of the Mental Deficiency Act of 1920 was that it would provide for the segregation of children with intellectual disabilities from the other patients at the Mental Diseases Hospital.
In 1931, the new Boys' Cottage was ready and the boys moved in from La Maison which was in Humphrey Street.
24 October 2017
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/tas/TE00649
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License