In 1934 The Bridge Rescue Home became officially known as The Bridge Industrial Home when it began to provide a residential program for the 'training' of teenage girls who were placed there for 'uncontrollable' behaviour. The Industrial Home was run by the Salvation Army at 146 Gilbert Street, Adelaide, in a large two story building that had once housed the Adelaide Bushmen's Club. In September of 1943, 6 women and girls lived at The Bridge. While at the Home, girls were encouraged and assisted to complete their education and were helped to find employment. A laundry which operated at the home provided some work for the girls and generated income for the institution.
In the 1970s The Bridge also provided accommodation for a number of women with intellectual and/or physical disabilities . At this time it became clear that the old Bushmen's Club building was in need of much renovation. However, in 1977 when it was discovered that the building was riddled with white-ants (termites) it was demolished. It was replaced with a new building known as 'Centennial Court' in 1980 - 81 and its role changed to that of a centre for children and adults with intellectual disabilities.
29 November 2018
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/sa/SE00294
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License