Minnie Maughan Cottage opened in 1955 at Penfold Road, Magill, as the first cottage home at Methodist Children's Homes run by the Adelaide Central Methodist Mission. The new purpose built cottage provided accommodation for up to 12 children.
It was named after the daughter of the founder of the Maughan Church. She had also worked as Treasurer for the Home's management committee for many years.
Until the mid-1950s, although girls and boys were cared for in separate buildings at the Methodist Children's Hmes, they still slept in dormitory style rooms. The building of Minnie Maughan represented a move towards providing cottage care in 'family' groups.
Minnie Maughan Cottage continued to operate after the Methodist Children's Homes changed its name to Lentara. In the late 1970s Lentara ceased to operate and the site at Magill was subdivided and sold. Minnie Maughan Cottage, along with Roberts Cottage, continued to run for a number of years after Lentara ceased to operate. It is thought to have closed around 1980.
29 November 2018
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/sa/SE00245
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License