The Adelaide Children's Hospital was founded in 1876 and officially opened in North Adelaide in 1879. It was initially funded by several wealthy patrons, subscriptions and fund raising as well as grants from the government. Run by a board of management it was originally intended only for poor and destitute children but later opened wards for paying patients. It became an incorporated institution in 1880.
The Adelaide Children's Hospital ran the Queen Victoria Convalescent Home for Children at Mount Lofty from 1898 until the 1940s. Through the 1920s and 30s the hospital developed strong ties with Estcourt House at Tennyson which it purchased in 1955 and ran until 1978. It also ran Mareeba Babies Hospital from 1951 until the 1960s.
Some children from the Adelaide Children's Hospital were sent to Seaforth Convalescent Home to recover from illness.
In 1989 the Adelaide Children's Hospital combined with the Queen Victoria Hospital to form the Adelaide Medical Centre for Women and Children, which became known from 1995 as the Women's and Children's Hospital.
We do not currently have any photographs linked to this entry. If you know of any additional photographs, please contact us.
The Find & Connect Support Service can help people who lived in orphanages and children's institutions look for their records.
25 October 2017
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/sa/SE00154
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License