A property at 52 Hill Street, North Adelaide, was purchased by the Children's Welfare and Public Relief Department in 1963. It was named Stuart House Boys' Hostel and operated as a home for older school boys under the care of the Department. It was named after explorer John McDouall Stuart who departed on an expedition from nearby the site in 1861. The first boys took up residence at the Hostel on 3 February 1964. The maximum number of boys accommodated in the first years was 23, with the average being 14.
Boys attended local primary or high school and with permission took part in sport and other activities in the community. Boys' progress at school was monitored and they were assisted with homework. Facilities for hobbies and other recreational activities were provided at the home. Church attendance was encouraged and arranged by home staff. The boys received pocket money from the Department each week. The first Superintendent and Matron were Mr and Mrs H W Dyson.
In 1990 Stuart House Boys' Hostel was renamed the North Adelaide Community Unit.
Stuart House Boys' Hostel was one of the institutions that came under scrutiny for allegations of abuse during the Children in State Care Inquiry 2004-2008. The majority of the reported incidents at Stuart House Boys' Hostel were from the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.
08 April 2021
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/sa/SE00091
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License