The Lady Victoria Buxton Girls' Club was established by its patron, Lady Victoria Buxton in 1898 in Bowen Street , Adelaide, and was run by the Church of England. Lady Victoria Buxton was the wife of the then Governor of South Australia, Sir Henry Fowell Buxton. In 1903 the Club moved to larger premises in Whitmore Square, Adelaide.
The Lady Victoria Buxton Girls' Club was founded 'to provide rooms where factory girls and others living in West Adelaide might meet for amusement and instruction'. It developed into a hostel for 25 girls. This number increased to 34 by 1923. Through donations, fund raising events and sales of the Kookaburra Cookery Book the Club was able to make several additions to the premises including a new hall in 1929. The Club operated until 1955.
02 November 2018
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/sa/SE00014
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License