The Industrial School for Boys, situated on Moggill Road, Indooroopilly (now called Chapel Hill), was run by the Salvation Army. Mr W R Black bought 22 acres of land for £2300 which he donated to Salvation Army. He also paid for the extension and renovation of the home, along with new furnishings. Black also provided £100 a year for maintenance of the facility.
The Industrial School for Boys could accommodate up to 50 boys and nine staff. Ensign Rogan was appointed Superintendent when the Home opened in 1922. The Home was officially opened on 20 November 1922 by the Governor, Sir Matthew Nathan. Shortly after the opening 35 boys took up residence.
The home was licensed under the State Children Act 1911 on 27 November 1922.
We do not currently have any photographs linked to this entry. If you know of any additional photographs, please contact us.
The Find & Connect Support Service can help people who lived in orphanages and children's institutions look for their records.
28 September 2021
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/qld/QE00610
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License