Opened in 1878, the Ipswich Asylum, commonly known as "The Gallop", accommodated chronic cases from the overcrowded Woogaroo Lunatic Asylum.
The Insanity Act of 1884 provided for the appointment of an Inspector of Asylums for the Insane who would inspect every part of every asylum and see all patients once every six months. The Act stated that 'the Lunatic Asylums at Goodna and Sandy Gallop, near Ipswich, shall be deemed to be Hospitals for the Insane under this Act'.
At this time the "Moral Treatment" of the mentally ill was based on the provision of peaceful surroundings with uninterrupted views, well designed buildings with good ventilation, good water supply, gardens and useful employment and recreation for the patients. It was considered that the Ipswich Asylum met this criteria.
The original building was extended and later named the Arthur Pavilion. No patients were directly admitted into Ipswich and very few patients were discharged. By 1908 two additional buildings were added, Male Ward 2 (Blair House) and Female Ward 1 (Alison House). The institution was renamed the Ipswich Hospital for the Insane in 1910.
16 May 2018
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/qld/QE00609
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License