Redcliffe was established in 1955 and licensed as a foster home 30 September 1955. It was licensed under The lnfant Life Protection Act in 1960 c., then as a residential institution under the State Children Act 1911 on 30 April 1964. It was again licensed under the Children's Services Act 1965 on 4 August 1966.
The land on which Redcliffe was situated was originally owned by Henry Edward Peirson, and functioned as a sugarcane plantation called Redcliffe Plantation. Born at Heytesbury, Wiltshire, England, Peirson landed at Maryborough, Queensland, in 1851. He died July 1920 at his home 'Heytesbury House', Jane Street, West End.
Frank Cane was the first person appointed to care for the boys at Redcliffe Home. He had previously served in the army as a chaplain and worked in North Queensland with Aboriginal communities. Frank and his wife, whom the boys called Mum and Dad, took the boys to church on Sundays. If the weather was bad Frank whould conduct a service at Redcliffe. Before going to school the boys would milk the few cows on the property.
Heytesbury Home and Redcliffe Home were situated on the same property at Peirson Road, Goodwood. Collectively the homes were informally known as the Goodwood Boys Home.
08 April 2021
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/qld/QE00526
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License