The Diocese of Brisbane started with the colony of Queensland in 1859, although the Catholic Church had a presence in Queensland as early as 1843. The first Mass celebrated in Brisbane was in mid-May 1843, and was presided over by Sydney Archbishop John Bede Polding in a temporary chapel in what is now Elizabeth Street.
Polding was instrumental in founding a Mission to the Aborigines on Stradbroke Island in 1843. The first parish priests of Brisbane town were Father Hanly and Father John Kavanagh.
James Duhig was an Irish-born Australian Roman Catholic religious leader. He was the Archbishop of Brisbane for 48 years from 1917 until his death in 1965. At the time of his death he was the longest-serving bishop in the Catholic Church (1905 - 1965).
We do not currently have any photographs linked to this entry. If you know of any additional photographs, please contact us.
The Find & Connect Support Service can help people who lived in orphanages and children's institutions look for their records.
05 December 2014
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/qld/QE00508
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License