The men's finance committee of the Queensland Association for the Saving of Infant Life, commenced work in early 1920 to raise money to open a babies' home. Originally, the committee proposed to name it the Queen Mary Home for Babies. When they were unable to register this name, the Committee decided on the name St Agnes Babies Home. The home was registered with the Director of the State's Children Department, Colonel Ferguson.
St Agnes Babies Home's new location in Oxley was a home known as 'Cliveden'. After St Agnes Babies Home closed in 1923, it was purchased by the Presbyterian Church to be used as an orphanage. The Blackheath Home for Children opened on the same site in 1924.
We do not currently have any records linked to this entry. If you know of any additional records, please contact us.
The Find & Connect Support Service can help people who lived in orphanages and children's institutions look for their records.
21 January 2021
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/qld/QE00316
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License