During the Second World War, when the Northern Territory Administration was evacuated from the Territory, the Council went into recess. It reconvened in 1950.
With the passing of the Northern Territory Child Welfare Ordinance in 1958, the Council was replaced by the Child Welfare Advisory Council.
Under the provisions of the State Children Act, the State Children's Council was made up of 'not more than twelve nor less than five persons'. For many years the membership of the Council comprised several ministers of religion, police officers and a medical doctor. In July 1950 the first woman was appointed to the Council. Prior to 1950 all members had been male.
In October 1950 a newspaper report pointed out that all the members of the Council lived in Darwin and that the Council lacked members to represent Alice Springs and Central Australia. As a result of this complaint, the Council approached community organisations in Central Australia and asked them to nominate potential representatives. The first Alice Springs based Council member, Sister Eileen Heath, was appointed to the State Children's Council in June 1951.
We do not currently have any photographs linked to this entry. If you know of any additional photographs, please contact us.
The Find & Connect Support Service can help people who lived in orphanages and children's institutions look for their records.
26 November 2020
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nt/YE00191
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License