The Little Flower Mission was first established by Father Patrick J Maloney, of the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart, in 1935 in the back yard of the Roman Catholic presbytery in Bath Street, Alice Springs. In 1936 the Northern Territory Administrator granted the church a portion of land at Charles Creek, approximately 1 km from the centre of Alice Springs. The Mission was moved to the Charles Creek site in 1937. A church-school was established at the Mission.
In 1938 three Sisters from the Order of the Daughters of Our lady of the Sacred Heart established a convent school in Alice Springs, which became known as the Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Primary School. Children from the Little Flower Mission were sent to the Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Primary School.
In 1942, as a result of the influx of military personnel into Alice Springs, the Little Flower Mission moved to Arltunga, approximately 100kms east of Alice Springs and became known as the Arltunga Mission.
28 May 2021
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nt/YE00025
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License