The Shelter was established at The Children's Court on the corner of Albion and Commonwealth Streets, Surry Hills, in 1911. Although the instigator of the Children's Court, Sir Charles K Mackellar, had great hopes that the new court would be airy and light and would reflect the humane intention of the new policies. However the Albion Street building, designed by Government Architect Walter Liberty Vernon, was much the same as other New South Wales Government courthouses. It was attractive on the outside, but gloomy inside. Mackellar was upset that there was no space for children awaiting court hearings to be separated from adults who were being tried in the court for offences against children that ranged from desertion to neglect and abuse.
The accommodation for the boys, which was under the building, was noted to be particularly unsuitable for reformative purposes.
The courthouse and the shelter closed in 1983. The buildings are now used by a range of social services providers.
09 July 2020
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nsw/NE00424
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License