Please contact the Archivist, University of Melbourne Archives: Postal Address: Archives, Baillieu Library, University of Melbourne VIC 3010 Phone: (03) 8344 6848 or (03) 8344 0590 Email: archives@archives.unimelb.edu.au Website: https://archives.unimelb.edu.au/
The Antonian Children’s Home as it was known from 1966, formerly the Antonian Institute for Children, was established in Richmond in 1959 to cater for children of Italian origin, including state wards. It closed in 1979. The Antonian Institute for Children was established at 311 Church Street, Richmond in 1959 by the Daughters of Divine…
The Geelong Female Refuge was established in 1868 at Kildare, initially to house and reform ‘fallen’ women who had nowhere to live. By 1893 the Refuge accepted pregnant unmarried women who were prepared to have their babies at the refuge and remain for a further 12 months with their baby. By 1928 it had evolved…
Blamey House, in Willsmere Road, Kew, was run by Melbourne Legacy. Until 1977, the Home had been known as Harelands. It provided accommodation for boys aged 13 years and older, who were children of deceased service personnel. It closed in 1980. Blamey House (1977-1980) was in Willsmere Road, Kew. The property had previously been a…
Surviving records of the Ballarat Benevolent Asylum are managed by Ballarat Health Services. These include admission registers (1859-1900) and annual general reports (1859 onwards). Entries in the admission register dated up to the 1920s have been transcribed by the Ballarat Historical Society. The transcriptions are available on the Ballarat Historical Society Website, and are organised…
Four Flats Hostel was established in Power Street, Hawthorn in 1977 by the Jesuit Social Services. This hostel provided accommodation for young, homeless offenders aged between 17 and 21 years who were released from Victoria’s correctional institutions. The hostel closed towards the end of 1981. Four Flats moved to a non-residential centre in Collingwood. Four…
Victorian Naval Logs are held by Public Record Office Victoria. The records were purchased at auction in 1999. There is no formal system of arrangement and control. Unit 1 of this series is the Victorian Naval Training Ship for Boys Register (VPRS 11976, Unit 1). It dates from 1865 to 1876 and provides detailed information…
Bethany Community Support holds a small collection of general historical records relating to Bethany Babies’ Home, its predecessor the Geelong Female Refuge, and Bethany Community Support. The collection includes annual reports, staff records, some admissions and discharge registers and photographs. The collection does not include client files. Access Conditions Those interested in accessing this historical…
The Deborah, was a hulk (ship) anchored in Hobsons Bay. In July 1864 it became the colony of Victoria’s first Reformatory for Boys from the Industrial schools. By 1865, it accommodated 108 boys sentenced under the Neglected and Criminal Children’s Act of 1864. The Deborah was one of four ships used as reformatories or industrial…
The Friendly Brothers Society (1845-c.1880) was a lay Catholic association which played a leading role in providing for vulnerable children in Melbourne and Geelong. During the 1840s and 1850s members of the society arranged private boarding placements for children in need. From the late 1850s Catholic orphanages emerged as the Church’s preferred means of providing…