The Carlingford Children’s Home was opened in October 1914 with children in residence from 1915. The building ‘Minden’ at Carlingford was purchased in 1913 to enable the Church of England to expand its operations as a home for children in the country accommodating around 30 children.
In December 1917, The Daily Telegraph reported that the home was “where delicate children are sent”, and that children were taught light gardening, growing fruit and vegetables on the grounds.
A decision was made in 1919 to transfer girls from the children’s home in Carlingford to Glebe, allowing for the home in Carlingford to become a home specifically for boys. Plans for another home at Carlingford also commenced at this time.
In 1920, the Church of England Boys’ Home replaced the Carlingford Children’s Home in the building Minden.
From
1914
To
1920
Alternative Names
Minden, Children’s Home, Carlingford
Carlingford Orphanage
Church of England Children’s Home
1914 - 1920
Carlingford Children’s Home was situated at 216 Pennant Hills Road, Carlingford, New South Wales (Building Still standing)