Archives



Ramoth Toddlers’ Home

Ramoth Toddlers’ Home in Ferntree Gully was established in 1927 by the Mission of St James and St John. Many of the children came from the Kedesh Maternity Home and, at the age of five, moved to the Mission’s Homes in Glenroy. In 1932,the Ramoth Toddlers’ Home was closed and resident children were transferred to…

St Barnabas’ Boys’ Home

St Barnabas’ Boys’ Home, in Newhaven, Phillip Island, was established in 1934. It was formerly known as the Seaside Garden Home for Boys. The Mission of St James and St John took over the Seaside Home following criticism about its conditions, including the death of a boy. St Barnabas’ was adjacent to St Paul’s Training…

Kedesh Maternity Home

Kedesh Maternity Home was established by the Mission of St James and St John in 1926. It accommodated pregnant women and mothers and babies shortly after birth. It was first located next to the Women’s Hospital in Carlton but in 1929 moved to Kew. In 1986 the Home was closed, and was replaced by the…

George Hall Hostel for School Leavers

George Hall Hostel for School Leavers was run by St John’s Homes for Boys and Girls. It was in Bell Street, Box Hill.

Ellen Connell Holiday Home

The Ellen Connell Holiday Home (or Holiday Cottage) was established by the Mission of St James and St John in 1955. It offered short term ‘crisis’ accommodation for children, and sometimes mothers. From 1965 it provided children more permanent residence. The property was sold in 1973. The Ellen Connell Holiday Home (or Holiday Cottage) opened…

Andrew Kerr Memorial Home

The Andrew Kerr Memorial Home, in Mornington, was established by the Church of England in around 1921. From 1921 to 1941 it was run by a management committee. The Mission of St James and St John took over management in 1941. In the 1950s, the Home was for boys and girls aged 6 to 14…

Mission of St James and St John

The Mission of St James and St John was established in 1919. It began as a broad-based city mission, but within a few years the Mission began focusing on the needs of homeless children, lone mothers and families in need. In 1997 the Mission of St James and St John merged with St John’s Home…

Kildonan Residential Units

Kildonan Residential Units came into being in around 1958, when Kildonan set up its first family group home next-door to the Kildonan children’s Home in Burwood. The Burwood Home was sold in 1960, and seven more family group homes were purchased in the eastern suburbs. In 1989, Richmond Community Care Inc. Took over the management…

Kildonan Admission Centre

Kildonan Admission Centre, Hawthorn, was established around 1960. It assisted in placing children from 3 to 18 years into the Kildonan Homes for Children in Melbourne’s eastern suburbs. In 1978, the facility became an adolescent unit, known as the Teenage Unit. Kildonan Admission Centre was established around 1960 in Hawthorn. It was located in a…

St Anthony’s Children’s Home

St Anthony’s Children’s Home in Kew was established by the Sisters of St Joseph in around 1921. It provided care for mostly boys from kindergarten age to early primary school age, and helped to ease overcrowding at St Joseph’s Foundling Hospital in Broadmeadows. Its name changed in 1943 to St Anthony’s Home. St Anthony’s Children’s…