The Country Women’s Association hostel, Narrabri was opened in 1946. It was a boarding hostel for school girls. It increased the numbers at the local high school and enabled the school to be reclassified as a full high school. However, by 1958 transport in the area had improved to the extent that students felt they…
The Country Women’s Association Hostel at Inverell opened from 1925-1928 with CWA support, and an official Country Women’s Association hostel was opened in a better house in 1945. It was a hostel for school girls, most of whom boarded during the week and went home on weekends. The Country Women’s Association Hostel, Inverell closed in…
The Country Women’s Association Hostel, Mudgee was opened in 1945, with assistance from local service clubs. It was a hostel for girls who were attending secondary school in town. The Education Department took over the building, but the Country Women’s Association continued to administer it. Country Women’s Association Hostel, Mudgee closed in 1981.
O’Brien House was a children’s home mentioned in a 1979 Commonwealth Government report called Why are they in children’s homes: report of the ACOSS children’s home intake survey. No more is known about this Home. If you have information about O’Brien House, please contact the Find & Connect web team using the ‘Contact Us’ button…
The Dominican Sisters of Eastern Australia is a Catholic women’s religious order. In 1867, representatives of an Irish Dominican community founded an autonomous eastern Australian congregation initially based in Maitland, New South Wales (Hellwig, 2020). The Dominican Sisters ran the School for Deaf Girls at Waratah in New South Wales (established 1886), and St Mary’s…
The Warrah Rudolf Steiner School for Curative Education was established in 1969 in Dural. Students from the special school lived in a purpose-built 12 bedroom cottage known as Waratah. In 1969, Waratah housed 15 children, 6 adults and 10 co-workers [staff]. As well as the school, Warrah also had a biodynamic and organic farm. Over…
Rainbow Lodge was a children’s home at Hazelbrook operated by the Handicapped Children’s Centre of New South Wales from 1970. The building, located on the Great Western Highway, had previously been Haddon Hall. Rainbow Lodge was in the former Haddon Hall buildings. These had been owned by Japanese businessman and vice-consul Toransuki Kitamura, who had…
The Sky Pilot Fellowship was an evangelical Christian organisation set up by Gwen and Keith Langford-Smith, who fostered Aboriginal children on their Kellyville farm property, which became Marella Mission Farm. Keith Langford-Smith was a pilot and Anglican missionary who had lived in the Northern Territory, and had run Roper Mission for the Church Missionary Society…
Kirinari Hostel was established in 1967 to provide accommodation for secondary students who are living in Sydney. It was established by the Aboriginal Children’s Advancement Society, with Aboriginal Hostels Ltd taking over the running of the hostel in 1976. A second site was later opened in Newcastle, around 1971. Kirinari Hostel was mentioned in a…
Kinomi Children’s Home was mentioned in a 1979 Commonwealth Government report called Why are they in children’s homes: report of the ACOSS children’s home intake survey. No more is known about this Home. If you have information about Kinomi Children’s Home, please contact the Find & Connect web team using the ‘Contact Us’ button on…